Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Sweet Baby J I have a host family!!!

Whew, I am literally typing this out of breath, because I just ran around my house screaming my lungs out for about 10 minutes solid.

Okay, now that my pulse has returned to normal, I HAVE A HOST FAMILY!!! :DD



Actually, funny story about that.

So about last Monday my local PA AFS rep, Deb, posted on our Susquehanna Valley Facebook page that I have a host family. Well, I am the second one out of the 5 of us going to Italy who got their family, so I was pretty pumped about that. However, the first girl Lauren had about a week in between when Deb announced that she had a family and when she actually got the confirmation email with details about them and where they live.

So, when Deb announced that I had a family, I knew I was in for a bit of a wait.

greeeeeeaaaaaat.

 if there is one thing I am TERRIBLE at, it is patience.

...... I literally had to take up the hobby of crocheting just to keep my mind off of the wait (but I did end up making a pretty legit scarf so it wasn't too bad)

Fast forward to this past Monday, and still nothing (trust me I was refreshing my email about 30 times a day) and I decided to take matters into my own hands and message Deb on Facebook.

I was all "Yo Deb, you best be crack a lackin on my family cuz I wants to know who they iz, feel me shawty?"

Jk, it was actually more like "Hi, I was just wondering when I will find out the information on my host family. I talked to Lauren and she said to give it about a week and I have, but still no email from AFS. Just wondering if there is something else I have to do or someone I can talk to to find out, thanks!"

Anyways, she responded right away (gotta love her <3) and assured me I would find out my family information very soon and gave me the name of my town, Trecase, to hold me over until then.

Well, you can bet your sweet molasses I have been glued to Google maps for the past 72 hours. It turns out Trecase is right on the coast (score) about 2 hours south of Rome (double score) and about 12 miles outside of Naples!! (jackpot) In addition, it is 10 minutes from Pompeii, right at the base of Mount Vesuvius, and within 1.5 hours of Capri and the Amalfi Coast, which have some of the nicest beaches in all of Italy! So basically, everything you think of when you think about Italy is centered around my town :D

This is Naples!!


This is Mount Vesuvius!
 

Fast forward to 20 minutes ago, and my poor, sweet father who is currently lying on the couch because he just had abdominal surgery to fix a hernia in his side earlier this morning, screamed up to me saying I should check my email. Boy oh boy oh boy I was excited.

Right before opening it up, I paused for a second, about a trillion thoughts were racing through my head! When you spend 3 months fantasizing about what your life is going to be like for the next year, you have a lot of good thoughts and bad thoughts. Personally, I am a super athletic person who loves to workout, I'm not a huge fan of little kids, and I'm kind of shy so being in a big family would be a bit overwhelming for me, so any combination of those factors would definitely be a challenge.

Well, if I could have made a dream family  checklist, handed it to AFS, and told them to go find me the perfect match, I couldn't have picked a better family!

My family consists of a father (Antonio) a mother (Rita) a sister who is my age (: (Federica) and a little brother (Vincenzo) <3

Our house is large (according to Federica, who appears to have filled out the application) and is about 2km away from the school I will attend :) Of course, all 4 family members are stereotypical GORGEOUS Italians, so I hope some of that will rub off on me *fingers crossed* We have 2 dogs and a rabbit, and everyone enjoys exercising and playing soccer <333333

Seriously, if they are half as perfect for me as the application makes it seem, this next 11 months are going to be an absolute dream (hehe totally just rhymed there)

Ciao tutti :)

No comments:

Post a Comment