Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Spot all the differences!

Here is that shorter "supplement" if you will of differences I promised

1.) tampons! Although I won't elaborate too much on this, I will say that Italians really don't have them or even know what they are, much less use them :P Goody!! NOT.

2.) bidet. As my Italian friend, Fef, once said "Bidet is my life!" And although I was very hesitant to try the "ass cleaning" machine, I do have to say it isn't as traumatizing as you'd think - I'm starting to get on board the bidet train! 

3.) school supplies. Everyone here is expected to purchase their own school supplies out of pocket, including Agendas (they call them diaries which confused the hell out of me at first) pencils, pens, (which they sell individually here) and textbooks. Basically if you can buy it in bulk in America, expect th opposite here.

4.) you have "at home clothes" i.e. nice loose dress or baggy shorts, and "going out" clothes i.e. skinny jeans and a fancy shirt...: then there's me who is fighting every instinct in her body that is telling her to throw on yoga pants and a sweatshirt then call it a day on the fashion front :P 

5.) Italians will accessorize everything to the nines, including pets and cars. 

6.) obvious one, but the whole "centigrade, euro, military time" thing is still very much a foreign concept for me :p

7.) I don't have chores! My family has a lovely housekeeper named Natasha who handles the big stuff like scrubbing floors and making beds, but my host mom also does a lot of cooking and cleaning too! In America, although my parents will say I was a typical lazy teen, I had to clean the kitchen and my room, or at least I was supposed to, and right now I have this guilty conscience about not doing anything. PLEASE JUST LET ME CLEAR A TABLE! 

8.) showering. Since water is cheap and plentiful in America, I'm used to showering at least once a day. Here I try to go every 2 days, but by Italian standards that's still an excessive amount. By my standards I'm disgusting after 12 hours, but when in Rome... 

9.) Drinks! Since everything here is fresh, that means the soda and juice tastes a lot better too! I'm talking real sugar in your coke, and peach juice so thick and creamy it's basically a juice box smoothie.... I've seriously died and gone to heaven with that <3 

10.) every sport they play here, whether it be ping pong or foose ball or soccer, they take SUPER seriously. You play for keeps here! 

11.) you have to have a purse if you're a girl - not just a wristlet, like me, or else you'll get yelled at, like me :p 

12.) shorts are great anywhere but in school if you're a girl. 

13.) the wall outlets are circular and have three holes in a row, not like the square ones that look like a surprised face in America! 

14.) surprisingly it's been cooler weather here than in PA! Since I'm right on the bay we get the sea breeze and I don't think it's been above 80 at all yet!  Also it's dry heat so no humidity <33333

That's all I can think of for now... I will probably have many more as the year goes by though! Unlike some of my other friends, I have a steady Internet connection here so I plan on blogging a lot in my free time :) 

Ciao a tutti! 

No comments:

Post a Comment